2 pounds spareribs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup flour
4–6 cups oil for deep-frying
- Cut the ribs into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the brown sugar, water, soy sauce, mustard, and garlic cloves.
Add to the ribs and marinate for 1 hour.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the flour to make a batter, adding water or
more flour as needed. Use a wooden spoon to test the batter — it should
drop slowly and be able to coat the back of the spoon.
- Add the oil to a wok and heat to 350°F. While waiting for the oil to heat,
coat the ribs in the batter. When oil is hot, carefully add the spareribs into
the wok. Deep-fry in batches for about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on
- Raise the oil temperature to 400°F. Deep-fry the ribs briefly a second time,
until they turn brown. Remove and drain.