10 squares Rice Crisps (page 82)
6 large dried black mushrooms
pound cooked shrimp
1 large chicken breast
6 cups chicken stock or 5 cups broth with 1 cup water
½ 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
White pepper to taste (optional)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4–6 cups oil for deep-frying
- Two hours ahead of time, begin preparing the Rice Crisps.
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes to soften. Give a gentle
squeeze to remove any excess liquid. Cut into thin slices. Rinse the shrimp
in warm water and pat dry.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil and poach the chicken very briefly in
the boiling water. Drain. Cut the chicken into thin slices.
- Bring the chicken stock or broth and water mixture to a boil. Add the
chicken, water chestnuts, mushrooms, shrimp, and peas. Bring the soup
back to a boil.
- While waiting for the soup to boil, begin heating oil for deep-frying the
- Add the salt, rice wine, and white pepper to the soup, if desired. Drizzle
with sesame oil. Pour the soup into a large tureen or serving bowl. Keep
- When the oil is hot, add the Rice Crisps. Deep-fry until the pieces puff up
and turn brown. Remove from the wok and drain on paper towels.
- At the table, slide the sizzling rice into the soup. The rice will make