½ pound flank steak
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1½ teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
1½ teaspoons sugar, divided
½ teaspoon baking soda
2-ounce bag cellophane noodles
1 can baby corn
½ cup beef broth
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2–4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- Cut the beef into thin slices. Add the soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice wine, ½
teaspoon sugar, and baking soda. Marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
- Without removing the string wrapping, soak the cellophane noodles in hot
water to soften. Cut the noodles along the string wrapping into thirds. Drain
thoroughly. Rinse the baby corn in warm water and drain.
- Combine the beef broth, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, ½
teaspoon rice wine, and 1 teaspoon sugar, and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a preheated wok or skillet. When oil is hot, add the
beef. Stir-fry until it changes color and is nearly cooked through. Remove
from the wok and set aside.
- Add more oil, if necessary. Stir-fry the baby corn for 1–2 minutes. Add the
sauce to the middle of the wok and bring to a boil. Add the noodles, stirring